Emanuel and Bertha Strauss Sternberger had two daughters, Blanche Sternberger Benjamin who was born May 15, 1901, and Emelia who was born in 1906. After his death in 1924, Bertha and her daughters created the Emanuel Sternberger Educational Trust in his memory.
Their home on Summit Avenue was turned into a hospital for unwed mothers in 1930, and was later turned into Sternberger Park.Emanuel Sternberger was born on October 17, 1859 in Nulingen, Germany. He came to the United States as a young boy of 12. He worked for his brother David in Florence, South Carolina as a clerk for $ 100 a year, plus food, clothes, and his bed. With $250 in gold from his father, he established a small store in Clio, South Carolina. He built this up to be one of the largest country stores in South Carolina. He became a U.S. citizen at the age of 21.
In 1898 the Cones persuaded Emanuel to move to Greensboro to establish the Revolution Cotton Mills. Emanuel took 75% interest, and was the organizer, founder, and controller of the first Southern mill to finish textiles.
Emanuel Sternberger was founder and President of Temple Emanuel in Greensboro. He was a founding member of the Greensboro Country Club. He was also a member of the Rotary Club, and later their President and founder of the Boys’ Camp there. He was Chairman of the Committee that built the Southern Railroad Station in Greensboro. He was extremely well liked and respected by all for his generosity and leadership.
He died in Greensboro, North Carolina in May of 1924.